- Douglas Gawadzinski, one of the apparent problem personnel in the FAA office overseeing Southwest Airlines — and designated FAA fall guy — has “retired,” FAA official said. [Dallas Morning News] See more on this.
- Benevolent megalomaniac Richard Branson says that airlines should willingly pay taxes on carbon emissions: “If you run a dirty business — an airline business, a shipping business . . . coal business, you should pay for the privilege because you are doing damage.” [AP]
- China has raised its domestic jet fuel prices, cutting back its extensive subsidies on fuel purchases that have spurred excessive demand and contributed to global oil price increases. [ATW Daily News]
- Have Delta and Northwest’s pilots unions hammered out contract agreements and a seniority list merger system? [Today in the Sky]
- The airlines blame the Department of Homeland Security for foisting its exit process — and related costs — onto the industry. [ATW Daily News] See more at Daily Airline Filings.